The underside is now ready to go.

Well, a bit more boat maintenance is done now.

After the closure on Tuesday at noon, I put the boat on the grid at 10 pm with the help of Orion Falvey and my new greenhorn deckhand, Matt Wagner.  At 2 am, I got up and changed the zincs.  At three AM, I went to Orion’s house to get the boys, because they wanted to help and use the power washer.  At six AM, the boat was clean, so I took them home and crashed on the Windbreaker at 6:30.  At 7: 15, Holly showed up at the boat with a cheerful grin and two very cute boys.  I regret to say that I didn’t receive them with open arms, but sent them away in a gruff manner. 


But of course I couldn’t sleep after that and had to get up and go find them.  They were a the harbor bathroom, of all places.  Mark was in the bathroom doing #2, as Luke rode around on Holly’s back in the backpack. 

We made up.


The first tide didn’t lift me off, as it may have.  It was touch and go for a while, but for another shift on the grid, so it was back to work.

At precisely high tide, and with only four feet of water over the lowest section of the grid, John White pulled up in the Glacier Point behind me ready to put one last coat of bottom paint on her before she left town with her knew owner from Tenake Springs (price for the Glacier point and five nets: $25,000.  Wow.  That was a deal.  That’s what I paid for the Windbreaker with no nets, and no nice looking boat).  Note to self: don’t buy a gillnetter on spec (speculating to sell it later at a profit).

Starting at 1 pm, I re-power washed the boat, then worked for a few more hours.Working by myself on the grid this second time was not too smart.  All the climbing up and down, all that bending and leaning under the hull kinda left me itired.

But…  Now…

The Windbreaker has a new coat of black Bottomkote @ $119 for the single gallon, plus new zincs, plus another go ’round at stopping that infernal leak in the lazzarette.  This time to stop the water from spoiling the 4200’s seal, I created a negative air pressure space in the lazzarette.

I used duct tape to seal off the two vents into the lazzarette which are near the fuel fill pipes, then removed the hatch cover astern of the reel and covered it with cardboard taped to the deck all around to seal in the air; through the cardboard I cut a hole the size of my shop vac hose, then stuck the vac on suck duty for three hours whilst I removed the rudder nut and repacked the surfaces with fresh sealant and let it set up.  I let the vacuum run for three hours like that, constantly removing the possibility of any water leaking by force of gravity out of the lazzarette. 


I will be interested to see if this solves the problem.  I’m going to tighten down the rudder stuffing box tomorrow until there is no drip. 

Then we’ll see who’s boss.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: